Gibraltar Poker Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 10 hands

2 posters

Go down

Top 10 hands Empty Top 10 hands

Post by MikeS86 Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 pm

As many of you know, Phil Hellmuth is one of the most successful Texas Hold 'em players of all time. I recently read his book, Play Poker Like the Pros, and was very impressed with his Hold 'em Strategy. It is not my intent to plagiarize his book, but no poker strategy site would be complete without mentioning the playing ability and strategy of Phil Hellmuth.

Therefore, I have chosen to reveal and comment on what Hellmuth calls his “Top 10.” When Hellmuth refers to his Top 10, he is talking about pocket card, starting hand requirements. One should note that this isn't a list of the only hands Hellmuth plays, but he does suggest that the poker player can make lots of money in low limit poker, by waiting on these cards and playing them aggressively.

Without further ado, Hellmuth's Top 10:

1. A-A

2. K-K

3. Q-Q

4. A-K suited

5. J-J

6. 10-10

7. 9-9

8. 8-8

9. A-Q suited

10. 7-7

Hellmuth submits that these 10 hands should be the only pocket cards played by the beginner in low limit Texas Hold 'em. This makes the game much simpler before the flop, however, as you can probably guess, the tricks of how to play these 10 hands after the flop can get complicated.

As a general rule though, bet these top 10 hands aggressively. The higher in the ranking, the more aggressively they should be played. Your strategy after the flop will be determined by what hits the board and the actions of your opponents.

Play these top 10 right in low limit Hold 'em games and you will make money. As you build your bankroll and your confidence, you can increase your starting hand requirements.

MikeS86
Queen High!
Queen High!

Number of posts : 8
Poker Reputation : 0
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Top 10 hands Empty Re: Top 10 hands

Post by DublinDutch Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:38 pm

You should stick to top 5 first.
DublinDutch
DublinDutch